RE: [TowerTalk] Broken Element Tip

To: Tom Rauch <>,Towertalk <>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Broken Element Tip
From: Eric Scace K3NA <>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 21:21:05 -0400
My conclusions are rivets are a *very* poor method of
securing elements, and antennas need dampers inside

73 Tom

Hi Tom --

   Rivets seem to work ok in lots of important structures.  I think the
problems are not in riveting per se, but rather the
engineering of the riveting system (i.e., proper sizes, material, location and

   I agree with you on anti-vibration.  Most thin elements need vibration
dampeners.  The method of assembly has no impact on
whether the assembled element will exhibit mechanical resonances in a breeze.

-- Eric

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.