RE: [TowerTalk] Low Inductance Grounded -Sleeve & bends

To: "'Les Kalmus'" <leslie.kalmus@verizon.net>,"'GALE STEWARD'" <k3nd@yahoo.com>,"'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Low Inductance Grounded -Sleeve & bends
From: "Carl007" <Carl007@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:00:31 -0400
Inductance Sleeve and bends:

I would use a 2" diameter rigid (steel) conduit or more as needed as a
'sleeve' for the building cable entrance. The sleeve and would be
connected to a ground rod system on the outside within a couple of feet
to earth.

The conduit would look like a "lump" mutual inductance to potential
lighting traveling along the RF transmission lines.

If I wanted the benefits of PVC for longer buried runs or to just to
protect the transmission lines for other reasons, I would then use a
steel sleeve around the PVC sleeve and grounded as indicated above.

Next, I would route the RF transmission lines to enter the sleeve from
the outside at a near 90 degree angle as is possible. This would add
another "lump" inductance to potential lightning from entering the
building.

Finally, I would ground the transmission lines at the point where they
leave the tower and near to the base of the tower as possible; and,
again making a 90 degree angle bend away from the tower as is feasible.

Carl, NW8Z