Re: [TowerTalk] Class 2 and Class 7 Poles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Class 2 and Class 7 Poles
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 00:08:31 -0500

Interesting topic. A few years ago, I tried to obtain a 120' phone pole new, and all the guys I talked to said it had been years since they had seen one even close to that size.

I have four of the 120 ft poles.  They were used by the government for
an ionospheric sounder project I built for them about 20+ years ago.
When the project was over I hauled them home, but never used them.

I think they are still in pretty good shape (they are "black jacks"--
fully treated with creosote but have been stored horizontally.  They
are Class 1 western red cedar.  Matched and hauled in to CO from
OR--don't recall the exact date but in the early 1980s

No way I can haul them to TX from CO so I MAY be looking for
a good home for them.   But they are a real BEAR to move unless you
have the equipment and the permits to take them on the hiway.

They are at my place in northern CO, near Greeley.   Will have to
do something with them by this fall.  I also have a bunch of 65 ft ones
(23 are on the ground--2 are up) from the same deal and will have
to make some decisions.   I guess I could put them on the railroad
but they would end up a LOT of miles from my place in TX and
this "soil" is mostly LIMESTONE.

Both the 120s and the 65s are fully stepped.   Worse comes to worse
I will pull off the hardware and walk away from my investment of
moving them 30 miles to my house around 1990.

--John W0UN

---