Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn tower base with pier pin question

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn tower base with pier pin question
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 12:42:46 EDT
In a message dated 5/21/04 7:54:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

> In the past, I've erected Rohn 25 towers with a section embedded in the
>  concrete.  This time, I'm looking at the pier pin approach.  So far, I've
>  found references to descriptions of drilling the base concrete and
>  installing a pin using stainless steel expanding anchors or epoxy.  Seems
>  me the easy way would have been to put the pin in when the concrete is
>  poured.  You ought to be able to simply push it down where you want it,
>  a few taps from a hammer.  Is that what's commonly done?

    Yep. The pin is just there to keep the bottom of the tower from kicking
out so it doesn't have to be real plumb or anything.

    If the concrete is already dried, it's about a 5-minute job to drill a
hole and then epoxy the pin in. Either way is pretty simple.

    The big hassle with a pier pin is that you have to temporarily guy the
first section.

Steve    K7LXC

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.