Re: [TowerTalk] Conversion to W6NL 40M MOXON

To: GALE STEWARD <>,towertalk reflector <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Conversion to W6NL 40M MOXON
From: Pete Smith <>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:34:53 -0400
At 01:52 PM 5/25/2004, GALE STEWARD wrote:
I read with interest the transcript of the Dayton
presentation by W6NL of his 2 element 40M MOXON type

I wondered if anyone has thought about converting a CC
40-2CD (or equivalent) to the W6NL MOXON design. This
would eliminate the loading coils and cap hats. Maybe
someone has even tried this already.

After a quick look at the paper and the associated .gif drawing that gave the tubing sizes, I couldn't help wondering about the structural soundness of the intersection between the elements and the loading structures, which involve two different sizes of element tubing and a third size in the cross pieces. Dave literally wrote the book on physical design of yagis, but that looks like a pretty critical area. Didn't I hear somewhere that NT1Y's new 80M F12 yagi failed at similar points in the elements?

Maybe Dave or someone familiar with the design can explain how to properly fabricate that 4-way connection. The antenna modeling results sure look fabulous.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on April 26, 2004
2706 contest stations at