Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Insulators

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Insulators
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 13:18:35 EDT
In a message dated 5/25/04 8:55:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

>        This is my first time to insulate my guy wires from the tower.I am
> putting up 90 feet of 45-G, guyed at 3 levels using the GB-45G guy
> I have some of the  guy wire insulators { similiar to # 502} and was
> if there was a better way to utilize these insulators than what I plan to
do :
>          1. Cut a piece of 1/4" EHS guy wire approx. 4' long.
>          2. Attach a PLP preform with 3/8" thimble to one end of this guy
> wire piece.
>          3. Attach the insulator using PLP preform to the other end of this
> guy wire piece.
>          4. Attach the tower guy wire to the insulator with PLP preform.
>          5. Attach the thimble to the GB-45G guy bracket.
>          6. Tension and land guy wire to equilizer plate as normal.
>                       I  have a few special clevis fixtures that have a
> curved bolt and they fit these insulators, but I am a little scared of
> I found them in some used tower guying materials. They would eliminate the
> need for the 4' cable piece and 2 extra preforms. I was curious if there is
> an acceptable clevis-type U-bolt that would adapt the insulators straight
> the GB-45G brackets? If I use the 4' cable pieces the insulators will be
> about out of reach in case I needed to bridge across them with a resistor.

    Umm, I guess I'm not sure why you'd need to bridge the insulator with a
resistor but everything else sounds fine. Typical clevis (shackle) sizes are
twice the diameter of the wire; i.e. for 1/4" guy wire, use 1/2" clevises. If
doubt, over-engineer it. BTW those bent bolt clevises are designed for
insulator attachment.

    The only caution with PLP Preformed grips is that there are 2 crossover
marks on them; the first one closest to the end loop is for normal thimble
connections. The second set is for use when they go thru insulators; the grip
angle is shallower and it puts less strain on the grip strands. Other than
you should be good to go.

Steve     K7LXC

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.