[TowerTalk] Cushcraft 40-2CD / A3S separation?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft 40-2CD / A3S separation?
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 21:49:04 -0400

Looking at the June 2004 QST at the 2003 SS Phone results on page 102, there's a picture of KH6ND at the top of the tower at WP2Z. He's standing on the boom of what appears to be a 40-2CD, mounting what is unmistakably an A3S.

The odd thing is, the A3S is little more than waist-high. Unless Mike is an 8 foot tall mutant, this can't be much more than about 4 feet of separation.

Isn't this a bit close? Can these antennas be placed this close together without degrading interaction?

The reason I ask is that I have an A3S at 49.5', and would be interested in adding a 40m beam below it, but always thought this wasn't sufficient separation. If it would work with only 5.5 feet of separation, I'd consider it.

Or is this the kind of compromise that only works on an island surrounded by salt water?

Comments?

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901