RE: [TowerTalk] Utility GND / Tower GND interconnection question

To: "Tower Talk List" <>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Utility GND / Tower GND interconnection question
From: "Jim Brown" <>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 13:43:36 -0500
On Sat, 29 May 2004 14:06:07 -0000, David Robbins K1TTT wrote:

>Put a couple rods at the tower base and connect to the service entrance
>with heavy wire(2ga or 4ga I think is min size, I use 0000ga here).

And remember that as far as lightning is concerned, INDUCTANCE can be a far
greater factor than resistance in limiting the speed of discharge (and thus the
voltage buildup). So follow basic circuit concepts -- multiple short paths in
shortest possible paths, bond everything as well as you can, etc. I would sink
copper strap under the foundation taking a direct route from tower base to
ground rods in addition to multiple rods around the area, and all bonded
outside the house.

Jim Brown K9YC

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.