RE: [TowerTalk] Utility GND / Tower GND interconnection question

To: "Tower Talk List" <>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Utility GND / Tower GND interconnection question
From: "Jim Brown" <>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 21:14:02 -0500
If it were only that simple!  Lighting will go where it wants to go. If you
route the
cables around the house, it's more inductance, which makes lightning more
likely to arc through the house.

Remember that the primary function of lighting protection is to discharge the
buildup of charge so that it is likely to arc and get destructive.

Note that I didn't suggest routing the strap through the house, but in the
under the house. In other words, the most direct path.

On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:54:35 -0500, Paul N.Henning wrote:

>Consider an extremely high current surge running through that strap and
>inducing a nice voltage into everything near it including electrical
>wiring in the house, pets, and people in the basement , plumbing. By all
>means tie the utility ground to the perimeter ground system of the house
>and the perimeter ground to your station SPG but keep the surge out of
>the house including underneath the house.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.