Re: [Fwd: [TowerTalk] CDE HAM II Rotor . . . another question]

To: Steve <steveac@charter.net>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [TowerTalk] CDE HAM II Rotor . . . another question]
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:15:59 -0500
I haven't followed the thread but I have found that meters stick for
two reasons.   Magnetic dust gets into the movement or the needle
or face is distorted and drags across the movement.

I have found a piece of heavy duty monofilament fishing line can
be used to clean out the coil/magnet movement. It is usually strong
enough to push aside any particles without being so strong that
it might damage something.   The secret is lots of magnification
to get a good look into the gap between the coil and the magnet.

I have also seen (in dry climates) where plastic faced meters can
get enough of a static charge to cause "sticky" behavior.  But this
is pretty rare and is usually only temporary.

Meter repair is fun but it requires a delicate hand and optical
advantage.

73 es gl John

---