Re: [TowerTalk] RF/DC Grounding

To: "Tower Talk List" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF/DC Grounding
From: "Jim Brown" <>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 17:12:09 -0500
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:25:19 EDT, wrote:

>Would it be helpful to drive 8 foot ground
>rods at the bottom of the seven foot hole if the rest of the rods are only in
>the ground 7 feet or so?

In general, more is better --  more rods, deeper, wider spacing, but all tied

>Will this disparity of different depths enhance or
>diminish what I am trying to accomplish?

It won't hurt a thing.

Note that ground rods primarily enhance SAFETY ground, not antenna performance.
 Of course, if you are end loading an antenna against ground,
anything you do to reduce the impedance to ground at the transmitting frequency
will increase antenna current, which will help RF performance.

Jim K9YC

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.