Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter double extended zepp

To: "Tim Duffy K3LR" <k3lr@k3lr.com>,"Thomas Rieff" <kc0pyk@yahoo.com>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter double extended zepp
From: "Chuck O'Neal" <cdoneal@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 20:15:07 -0400
Agreed!  I was about to make a similar comment.

It will narrow the azimuth pattern so aiming it is important
on its fundamental frequency, since its gain is nearly 3 dB
over a dipole. Also, for DX performance, on 80 M it should
be up at a reasonable height, since, like a dipole, all its
elevation gain is entirely determined by the height above
ground.  There is no reduction in elevation angle from end
fire gain as you would get from driven phased dipoles or
yagi antennas.

On the higher bands, it is a center fed longwire, resulting
in  multi-lobed pattern with gain in (very narrow azimuth)
directions that will approach, and may exceed a 3 element
yagi (particularly on 10 through 15M)!   Modeling is a very
good idea to see what you will actually get.  Unfortunately,
this antenna, like all long wires, will produce a null
broadside to it at the higher frequencies where it much
longer than a wavelength long, so that if you aim it at
Europe at its fundamental frequency, it will have a null in
that direction on many of the higher frequencies .

73,
Chuck...K1KW