Re: [TowerTalk] Heath Cantenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heath Cantenna
From: Joe <WD0M@centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 13:16:07 -0600
Seems that the EPA has decided PCBs are a danger, albeit if safely handled, the risk is minimized:

"How can I tell whether a piece of equipment contains PCBs?

"Check for a manufacturer's label, which may give the date of manufacture and the trade name of the fluid. Some trade names that may refer to PCBs include Aroclor, Askarel, Eucarel, Pyranol, Dykanol, Clorphen, Clorinol, Chlorextol, Diaclor, Hyvol, Asbestol, Inerteen, Elemex, Saf-T-Kuhl, No-Flanol, Nepolin, EEC-18, and others. Equipment manufactured after 1979 usually does not contain PCBs. Most pre-1979 capacitors do contain PCBs, while many pre-1979 transformers do not. Transformers within buildings or vaults are more likely to contain PCBs. New equipment should be labeled "No PCBs." PCBs are clear, amber-colored, or dark oily liquids. They may have a faint smell like motor oil, and some contain chlorobenzenes which make them smell like mothballs. Fluorescent light ballasts may contain about an ounce of PCBs; a utility pole capacitor or transformer may contain much more. Usually what leaks from a burned-out light ballast is not PCBs but a black tarry material that is used to muffle noise from the capacitor. However, it is safest to assume that anything that leaks from a transformer, capacitor, or light ballast contains PCBs, unless there is a "No PCBs" label on the equipment."

Further, here's a link to a Communications Workers of America fact sheet on PCBs:

http://www.cwa-union.org/osh/FactSheets.asp?ID=348

Seems that not only are doctors saying the "sky is falling" when it comes to PCBs, but the very workers union that deals with them on a daily basis.

73,
Joe
WDØM