RE: [TowerTalk] URI magic antennas

To: aa6yq@ambersoft.com, <gdaught6@stanford.edu>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] URI magic antennas
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 10:47:26 -0700
At 12:15 PM 6/8/2004 -0400, Dave Bernstein wrote:
It is no longer necessary to use liquid helium to attain
superconductivity. When last I checked, advances with ceramic materials
had pushed superconductivity close to liquid nitrogen territory, and the
goal of room-temperature superconductivity was still considered a
possibility. See
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991618, for example...

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Practically speaking, you don't need superconductivity to improve performance. Just cooling the metal will reduce the resistance, and hence the loss, somewhat. I seem to recall that Cu has about 1/7th the resistance at LN2 (77K) temperatures compared to room temperature. It's roughly linear... Dry Ice (200K?) might get you half or a third of the way there.

Too bad, though, that you can't supercool the earth for some 20 wavelengths around, to reduce that source of loss.

Too bad, also, that reducing resistance isn't the only thing you have to do...