[TowerTalk] Emergency Rohn 45 foldover help needed!

Subject: [TowerTalk] Emergency Rohn 45 foldover help needed!
From: Anthony Kapolka <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:50:51 -0400

I have a Rohn 45 foldover I was hoping to erect this saturday - I have a bunch of people coming over to help. Unfortunately, as I walked through the pieces today, I found a large problem - the fold over assembly does not match the engineering diagram I have! My diagram is from 1981.

I must have an older model.

The arm terminates in a bracket which has two holes:

                                     |         |
----------------------------|         |
                                     |         |
                                     |   O   |
                                     |         |
                                     |   O   |

presumably one is for a bolt/thimble to attach to the winch and one is to attach, somehow, to the tower leg. But the exact details are unclear to me.

The diagram I have shows these two functions at different points on the fold over assembly - I don't have a corresponding point for the winch cable to attach.

I really really really need a copy of the engineering information for this tower ASAP that explains my arm - if I can't find it, I'm afraid it isn't going up saturday. My fault for waiting to discover this.

The other big question is whether I should assemble this tower with:

27' below the hinge and 36' above (which is about what Rohn suggests) or
37' below the hinge and 27' above (which sounds safer to me - but i have a guy here vigorously arguing I need to follow Rohn's model)

I am guying this at the hinge and at the top.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Anthony Kapolka