Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Self Supporting Crank Up Tower

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Self Supporting Crank Up Tower
From: Alan AB2OS <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:52:15 -0400
I just came from looking at the specs for the AN Wireless self-supporting towers ( I had been thinking of a 60' tower to support my 3-el SteppIR (by no means large: less than 7 sq. ft.), but I found that the max. surface area one of their 60' Light Duty models will support with 90mph winds is less than 1 sq. ft.!

If I want to put this antenna on a tower in this location (Ottawa Co., W. Michigan), I must either settle for a 50' Light Duty tower or put out almost $1000 more for the 60' Heavy Duty model. The foundation requirements are different too.

Alan AB2OS

On 06/11/04 08:43 pm Wendell Wyly - W5FL put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Driving home today after a recent thunderstorm, I saw a crank up
(telescoping triangular tower) BROKEN completely in two pieces with the beam
hanging nearly on the ground.  This was a fairly heavy duty tower with only
a tri-bander on it and only about a 50 foot tower.  He needs a crane to get
it down now.

Never ceases to amaze me that it takes me 8 5/16 EHS guys to hold my Rohn 45
tower and small 2 element quad antenna  and others seem to think a little
piece of concrete is going to hold their crank up towers in the extended
position indefinitely.  I am sure the load was only 6-8 sq feet, but that
was enough.