Re: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Self Supporting Crank Up Tower

To: Alan AB2OS <ab2os@att.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Self Supporting Crank Up Tower
From: <hdmc38@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 7:34:46 -0400
It is absolutely amazing the power of mother nature and what can happen when
she gets mad.Engineered structures designed for survival fail while a cracker
house on the next block or even next door is untouched.The total devastation is
undescribable.You can't even find a street cause they all look the
same.Destroyed and no signs.My wife is an insurance adjuster for 25 years,15 in
Oklahoma.I am a Building inspector/former contractor.We worked in S Miami
during Hurricane Andrew.The destruction will leave you speechless.I would say
build it the best you can using the best possible resources you have.If
something does not feel right it probably is not.Fix right 1 time,then go to
church.You can only prepare for the power of a storm not prevent it.Just my 2
cents.Thanks for the soapbox and thanks Steve for a great resource with a
wealth of information.

                    73 Joe Patrick K4XZ

> From: Alan AB2OS <ab2os@att.net>
> Date: 2004/06/12 Sat AM 06:23:51 EDT
> To: towertalk@contesting.com
> CC: "Bernard(wtrone)" <wtrone@comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Self Supporting Crank Up Tower
>
> Perhaps I wasn't clear: a 50' AN Wireless Light Duty tower *will* handle
> the SteppIR in a 100mph wind. To put the antenna that extra 10' higher
> would necessitate going for the Heavy Duty model costing much more.
>
> BTW, since people have referred specifically to Trylon towers, you may
> be interested to see the engineer's report comparing the AN Wireless and
> the Trylon:
>
> http://www.anwireless.com/dc.html
>
> (Of course, the AN Wireless towers are not crank-up, so one might still
> prefer the Trylon.)
>
> Alan AB2OS
>

> On 06/11/04 11:01 pm Bernard(wtrone) put fingers to keyboard and
> launched the following message into cyberspace:
>
> >     If you have ever had a tower come crashing down, you would know that it
> > is much better to do the "right" thing up front than have a big mess sitting
> > in your back yard.
>
> >>I just came from looking at the specs for the AN Wireless
> >>self-supporting towers (www.anwireless.com). I had been thinking of a
> >>60' tower to support my 3-el SteppIR (by no means large: less than 7 sq.
> >>ft.), but I found that the max. surface area one of their 60' Light Duty
> >>models will support with 90mph winds is less than 1 sq. ft.!
> >>
> >>If I want to put this antenna on a tower in this location (Ottawa Co.,
> >>W. Michigan), I must either settle for a 50' Light Duty tower or put out
> >>almost $1000 more for the 60' Heavy Duty model. The foundation
> >>requirements are different too.

JOE PATRICK
SENIOR PLUMBING/MECHANICAL
INSPECTOR CITY OF BOYNTON BEACH