Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Self Supporting Crank Up Tower

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Self Supporting Crank Up Tower
From: Alan AB2OS <ab2os@att.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:46:02 -0400
Another thing: as I understand it, the tower manufacturers' permitted surface area figures assume that the antenna is mounted immediately at the top of the tower. When that same antenna is mounted 5, 10 or more feet above the top of the tower on a mast, the forces on the tower are increased significantly; the mast may survive, but not the tower itself.

Alan AB2OS

On 06/11/04 10:12 pm Dave NØRQ put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Though I agree with the intent of the comments, which I think was
"too many guys overload their towers or don't install them correctly",
I think that it is quite incorrect to categorize all self-supporting towers
in the same way.

We all probably know of hams that have done shoddy or under-
engineered installations -- because towers sometimes fall down ---
both guyed and self-supporting ones, I might add!

When I put up my self-supporting Trylon T600 64' a few years ago,
I selected the size, not based on my area's wind speed of 70 mph,
but on 100 mph.  With only 15 sqft of antennas on it, I think that it
will continue to support itself quite well.  And it if does fall, my house
will probably be missing or severely damaged, in which case the broken
tower will be the least of my concerns.

Self-supporting towers are great, even here in Texas,
IF DONE CORRECTLY.   Guyed towers are fine, too,
IF DONE CORRECTLY.