RE: [TowerTalk] Rotators again

To: "'Pete Smith'" <>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Rotators again
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:45:30 -0400
> Pete Smith writes:
> OK, I take your point, but coiling the feedline around the
> mast in the way I described certainly strikes me as neater
> and less prone to error than the traditional floppy rotator
> loop.

Yes, it would be ... I have considered trying to get 25'
(about three turns) of the 1.25" Nycoil material and running
two or three pieces of LM400 or equivalent through it as a
rotor loop.  The bottom would be attached to the tower and
the top attached to the boom of the lowest beam ... if the
coil represented three turns "at rest" I would add an extra
"half turn" when it was attached.   The real problem is
weight ... as I recall, the empty conduit weighed about a
pound a foot.

If someone wanted to experiment with a "coiled" conduit for
a crank up tower or as a rotor loop ... it might be worth
looking at non-metallic "Sealtite."  I believe the Sealtite
line is available in sizes up to a couple inches in diameter.

   ... Joe, K4IK

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.