Re: [TowerTalk] Re: [FCG] HF LOG-PERIODIC ANTENNAS Comments Please

To: "Tom Jednacz" <tjednacz@ieee.org>, <Towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: [FCG] HF LOG-PERIODIC ANTENNAS Comments Please
From: "Chuck O'Neal" <cdoneal@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:20:33 -0400
Jim Lux makes some very good points with reference to
LPDA's.  I run two stacked LPDAs on 62 ft long booms, 18E
each, independently rotatable, that cover 14 - 30 MHz.  They
are stacked at 55 and 110 feet, the best compromise stacking
distance for this array arrived through extensive modeling.
On 12M and 10M "side" lobes in elevation are still down
12dB.  It is a great antenna, providing a minimum of 27dB
F/B, and as modeled over ground, a gain of over 16.6 dBd for
the stack fed in phase.  I designed, built, and put them up
17 years ago.  No problems and they still work as on day
one. Reliable, except for rotators...(another story).

Today, if I were to put up an antenna from scratch, I'd try
stacking the StepIR's.  Not sure how I'd do it, yet. The
stacked LDPA array is great BUT on receive you are ramming
everything in the SW spectrum into the front end of your
receiver, so the narrow band performance of the SIR antenna
would help here.  With most transceivers, I have to use a
preselector.  Even with a 781 and unmodified FT-1000D's.
(Side note: You can take a power diode and a regular set of
stereo headphones during the sunspot max, or sometimes even
now!, connect them across the LPDA feedline and get near
room volume of the various SW broadcast stations coming in
when aimed at EU.)  If you are an SWL as well, go with the
LPDA.

My concern is the MTBF of a stacked SIR system with all the
moving parts.  Time will tell and when I take my system down
someday if mother nature doesn't do it first, (lot's of ice
up here in NE), I'll see how the SIR systems are doing.

73,
Chuck...K1KW