Re: [TowerTalk] HF LOG-PERIODIC ANTENNAS Comments Please

To: "Rick Bullon" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HF LOG-PERIODIC ANTENNAS Comments Please
From: "Jim Lux" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:00:59 -0700
From: "Rick Bullon" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 8:07 PM

> One point needs to be made, especially for contesters. The LPDA is a very
> low Q antenna with very wide bandwidth... the SteppIR is a high Q antenna
> with narrow bandwidth that is frequency agile.
> When the bands are very crowded with big signals, there is a huge
> in the strength of unwanted signals reaching the receiver front-end.
> Both are good for the causal operator depending on your interests on the
> bands. but  not one of the serious contest station use either antenna.
>   The SteppIR tunes too slow for contest work when changing bands and the
> on the LPDA is too low for contesting

Seems to me that depending on the antenna to perform the function of a
preselector is sort of silly, in a no-holds-barred system design. If you're
worried about overloading the front end of the receiver, either you need a
better front end and a receiver that has better instantaneous dynamic range,
or it shouldn't be too hard to design a fairly high Q, low loss, preselector
that would tune automatically given frequency presents.  This is a pretty
standard thing in wideband microwave receivers like spectrum analyzers,
where they use a YIG filter for preselection. Granted, spectrum analyzers
aren't particularly hot stuff noise-figure wise, but then, most HF receivers
aren't either.  Whatever the Q of a Yagi is, it's nothing as narrow as even
a crummy LC filter.  Don't forget that SWR bandwidth is not the gain
bandwidth, either.

Clearly, what's needed is a fast tuning, fairly narrow band, directional
antenna.  Hmmm.. that would be an electronically scanned active phased
array.  The SteppIR is an intermediate step to this, with mechanical tuning.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.