Re: [TowerTalk] Actual LP Performance vs Tribanders

To: Peter Sundberg <sm2cew@telia.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Actual LP Performance vs Tribanders
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 06:49:08 -0400
At 03:44 AM 6/26/2004, Peter Sundberg wrote:
So f/b on groundwave is important and so far, from what I have seen the
results are pretty close to what the software model tells you. But again,
in precise numbers you can't say it is exactly -19db or -21db but you can
sure tell -8db from -18 db.

My recent experience leads me to agree, Peter. After adjusting the reflector on my shortened 2-element 40-meter yagi, I could not hear any front-to-back while listening to skywave signals in the CW band. As a check, I transmitted on it while turning the antenna, as a friend about 5 km away listened. At each heading, he would tell me how much to adjust my output power to return to a given S-meter reading. Converting the resulting power ratios to dB told me that at 7005, the antenna was slightly reversed; at 7050 it was bidirectional, at 7150 it had about 10 dB front-to-back ratio, and that F/B had diminished to about 6 dB at 7250. Nulls off the side were about 20 dB deep.

I understand that anything near the antenna can and will affect groundwave field strength, but since the only variables in this test were the pointing of the antenna and the frequency, this result seems to be a pretty good indication that the reflector is tuned too high. I wouldn't swear by the absolute field strength values, but relatively speaking they make sense. This is too bad, because it will not be easy to correct the reflector tuning.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on June 5, 2004
2728 contest stations at