Re: [TowerTalk] antenna FS measurements

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <TexasRF@aol.com>,<jimjarvis@ieee.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna FS measurements
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:40:24 -0700
This is easy enough to test for. Put the voltmeter or soundcard
on the receiver output. Feed the receiver with a steady source
like a signal generator, and then use the calibrated step
attenuator to check the linearity of the system. Very simple.

As Tom points out, the real problem with balloon/helicopter
method would be getting a steady source. You could minimize
the ground effects by adjusting the vertical height of the source
until you were in the peak of the antenna under test's elevation
pattern as the field strength should be least sensitive to source
perturbations at the point where the ground reflection and the
direct ray are adding in phase. You could probably minimize
the polarization "roll" by mounting the source antenna in a
gravity gradient configuration (imagine a dipole suspended
at the bottom of a vertical mast ). A fixed tower for the source
would be preferable, but then you either have to bring the
source tower to the test site, or the test antenna to a
dedicated range. The balloon/helicopter would make "in situ"
measurements convenient.