Re: [TowerTalk] What Welder Makes Good Exothermic Bonds?

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What Welder Makes Good Exothermic Bonds?
From: Tony King - W4ZT <towertalk@w4zt.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 10:35:18 -0400
The manual method equivalent to the Cadwelds or other name brand exothermic "one shot" welds is brazing or braze welding. You can braze with Oxy-Acetylene and Mapp. The problem with the manual method is that unless you're well practiced, you'll melt away your ground wire since the temperature of melting the brazing rod is very near the melting point of the copper wire. The exothermic "one shot" methods hold everything in alignment with a mold and raise the temperature above the melting point and hold it there until it cools.

Using an electric arc welding process isn't the proper way to bond these materials and the only one that might work bonding the non-ferrous copper to copper clad steel is TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas, now called Gas Tungsten Arc Welding, GTAW). I have TIG in my shop but would opt for brazing for grounding purposes or the simple one shot methods.

If you need to weld common mild steel in your shop you can't beat an inexpensive stick welder but don't buy it for making up your grounds. As Kevin pointed out, MIG (Metal Inert Gas, now called Gas Metal Arc Welding, GMAW, because it isn't always done with an inert gas) is the easiest but without instruction and much practice your welds will likely look pretty but wont hold up under stress because of the lack of penetration and fusion. Good penetration with MIG is all about technique.

If you have MAPP or Oxy-fuel already, get brazing rod, either coated or with a jar of flux and try it. It's cheap. If you don't, just buy the Cadweld or other single shot brands and enjoy the beautiful ground connections.

73,
Tony W4ZT