Re: [TowerTalk] Entry Panel in Wall or External to Building?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Entry Panel in Wall or External to Building?
From: Joe <WD0M@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:07:05 -0600
Interesting question, Doc. I was going to pose exactly that this morning, but you beat me to it. I have a single point ground panel (thick copper plate) populated with various ICE arrestors, and was going to mount it under the house in the crawl space. My ground rod is just outside the house and my cables enter the house just a few inches away.

What got me thinking about the wisdom of that option is that lightning probably doesn't like to reverse direction and go back out of the house to the ground rod. I can install a shortened ground rod in the crawl space as well, but have yet to do that.

As a result, I'm now thinking it best to put the SPGP outside the house next to the ground rod so that lightning:

1)  doesn't enter the house;
2)  has a shorter path to ground; and
3)  doesn't have to reverse course a couple of feet to find the ground rod.

I too would like to hear from the TT wizards on their recommendations on how to best protect the equipment and the house.

73,
Joe
WDØM