[TowerTalk] Radio perfromance

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>,"Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radio perfromance
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 17:28:50 -0400
> Another approach would be to use a high purity signal
generator to null the
> carrier (zero beat it).  I've played a bit with trying
this in a different
> context, and the close in phase noise makes it a challenge
(the carrier
> wanders a few Hz over a few seconds time frame), but it
might work.  You
> could digitize a bunch and then post process it.

Buy a cheap microprocessor clock crystal and use it to null
the carrier, or use in band crystals (like old novice
crystals) to make the notch. Single crystal notch filters
are easy to build.

Without that you better have an exceptional analyzer. My
expensive analyzers won't hardly handle the DR required.

Anyway, this has diverged to a radio test thread so I'll
drop it. I am VERY interested in any data however.

73 Tom