RE: [TowerTalk] RCS-4 Coax Switch

To: "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] RCS-4 Coax Switch
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:30:38 -0500
There has been a lot of talk about lightning protection.  Seems each person
is satisfied with their setup for protection, or the lack of same.  And
there are many testimonials to back up the claims.  Well, here is another.

My tower (Rohn 45 equivalent) went up in 1999 with F12 C-4XL at 152 feet and
a 144/440 base vertical 5 feet above.  The vertical was planned for a
digipeater but was never used.  It had a 50 foot coax cable attached that
was rolled up and taped to a leg near the rotator.  The base of the tower
has a Rohn 45 short section buried in 5 feet of concrete.  Three 8-foot
ground rods surround the base and are connected to each leg with 1 inch
copper braid.  All coax and control cables are attached to Polyphaser
arrestors at the bulkhead leading to the shack.  The bulkhead is tied to two
ground rods which are also connected to the tower and power service ground
rods.

There have been four observed direct strikes to the tower over the last 5
years, and who knows how many more that were not observed.  Weather here on
the Gulf Coast yields many opportunities for thunderstorms.  Until the last
strike, the only damage has been to telephones, TVs and computers.  This was
due to my lack of knowledge about the proper use of surge protectors for
phone lines and Cat 5 Ethernet cables.  The last strike finally did some
major damage to ham equipment.  The PA in the IC775 transceiver was blown.
The Yaesu GS800SDX runs at slowest speed.  The 144/440 antenna is in pieces.
Additionally, two of the five PCs on the LAN were damaged and one monitor
was blown, this in spite of good protection.

The bottom line is that a bolt of lightning can and will defeat the best
plans.  So, good luck!

Keith
WD5DXL