Re: [TowerTalk] Lighting

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lighting
From: "Barry " <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:55:15 -0000
On 6 Jul 2004 Tom Rauch wrote:

> That's my opinion also, based only on the physics involved.
>
> I notice a large group of people actually think lighting
> does not hit grounded structures because grounding causes
> the charges to bleed off or dissipate.
>
> I'm curious where that idea actually came from. Does anyone
> know?

Probably experience.  I believe it, to a degree.  Just last week,
there was a lightning hit to a wooden power pole about 1000 ft from
my tower.  It blew a bunch of fuses and lihgtning arrestors on the
power lines, and we were out for about 3 hours.  To the best of my
knowledge, my well-grounded tower's never been hit and it's the
tallest thing for about 1000 ft in any direction.

Also, I haven't been following this thread too closely, and don't
know if he's already commented, but I recall John, W0UN, previously
posting about watching lightning storms die out as they approached
his towers in CO and then reform on the other side.
73,
Barry W2UP--