Re: [TowerTalk] Stuck tower is unstuck!

To: FireBrick <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stuck tower is unstuck!
From: david jordan <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 11:58:29 -0400
Yes,

The tower sections on the TRIEX have RED markings to indicate when the tower is extended to full height. I've used the marked cable concept on other crank-up towers. It works better then the electric switches which do fail on a regular basis! Bottom line is these crank-up towers are great inventions but like working with electricity, one must never become to comfortable with the devices. Lack of attention to detail can be harmful to your health as well as the integrity of the tower.

73,
dave
wa3gin

FireBrick wrote:

I have heard of failures using the limit switches. I have them, I maintain
them. I just
expect them to stick at the most inopportune time.
So I NEVER remotely raise or lower my system.

When I determined the 'secure feeling' extension limit of my tower, I spray
painted a
small band of flourescent paint on the cable.
When that band of paint comes off the drum, I stop.
It also helps when I have the direction switch wrong and it's dark out there.

May not be elegant, but I feel better about it.

----------------------------------------------------- It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities without your help. -----------------------------------------------------

Bill H. in Chicagoland