Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Tower Mount & Cold Weather Cameras?

To: kd4e@verizon.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Tower Mount & Cold Weather Cameras?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:36:20 -0700
At 12:16 PM 7/7/2004 -0400, doc wrote:
Several guys asked me to share what I found.

So far these guys seem to have an interesting variety of packages
that cover everything from the camera to the Internet connection
and remote access priced from $129. up to $1,000.+

http://www.x10.com/products/vanguard_promo.htm

I had read somewhere that they are under some sort of bankruptcy protection, or were, and considering the drop from their previous
obnoxious level of Internet Spam and pop-up ad presence that
may be so.

A couple of guys mentioned temperature control boxes for cameras
that run off 24vac but I have not yet found a source.

Much of the "competition" for this market comes from high-end
commercial grade products that few of us could afford.

I am guessing there is a specialty market out there for the many
folks who keep more than one property, e.g. FL "Snow Birds"!

I'd just like to put a camera or two up to enjoy the view here,
nothing quite so complex as multiple QTH's.

73, doc kd4e
__

Most all the networking companies (Linksys, D-link, etc.) have 802.11b wireless (or ethernet wired) network cameras for about $100. All you'd have to do is supply DC power up to the cameras.

As far as packaging goes...

A thermostatic heater is easy to come by (although, not perhaps in summer). There are heating tapes made for preventing pipe freezing, etc. that have built in thermostats. Aquarium heaters can be modified easily.

Your real problem might be getting too hot.

The cameras that I've had installed outdoors (in the high dollar Pelco cases) had more problems with dust and condensation than with temperature. This is more challenging than you might think, unless you want to go out and hose off the window and vacuum out the spiders every few months.

Sure, the optical/imaging performance on cheap CCD or CMOS cameras degrades over wide temperature ranges, but I suspect you aren't doing photometrology, so you won't really care if the dark current comes up a bit at high temperatures, or that the color balance moves around a bit.

The other problem with "view the countryside" type cameras is that if the sun is in the field of view, you can kill pixels. I've heard of photochromic filters that can fix this, but haven't seen any surplus/cheap.