Re: [TowerTalk] Need for a thrust bearing

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need for a thrust bearing
From: "Bill VanAlstyne" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:39:56 -0600
Julio,

I don't know if there is a "definitive" answer, but just think about the physics
of the matter. The rotor is equipped (if it is a heavy-duty type) with multiple
races containing up to a hundred or more ball bearings. (The Hy-Gain TailTwister
has three races with 138 bearings.) Is the thrust bearing this well-equipped? If
it's an ordinary thrust bearing of the type commonly available from tower
manufacturers, no. This simply means that the rotor is much better equipped to
handle the VERTICAL component of the antenna's weight than the thrust bearing
is. The rotor is NOT equipped, however, to handle side-moment loads. That's what
the thrust bearing is fundamentally there for.

By forcing the thrust bearing to do a job it's not equipped by design to do,
you're just asking for an unnecessary trip up to the top of the tower to replace
it. I've seen custom-designed thrust bearings that take the whole weight of the
antenna off of the rotor, and have a greater capacity for bearing vertical load
than the rotor does. But if you're putting that much more load on the rotor than
it's designed to handle, forget about the vertical weight -- you'll strip the
rotor out anyway with the load's rotational momentum. Stick within the specs and
let the rotor do the job it's designed to do, and you'll be golden. MOO, of
course.  :-)

Bill / W5WVO