Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust bearing

To: "Noel" <yaesurig@msn.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust bearing
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:20:10 -0400
TT:

     I installed an industrial bearing atop my tower.  I use it to steady
the mast at the top as well as to provide some support for the vertical
antenna load.  I accomplish the vertical support NOT by relying on the puny
set screw, although I did tighten it so that the collar would rotate with
the mast (otherwise why install a bearing?)  I support the weight of the HF
antenna with back-to-back (or facing-each-other) muffler clamp saddles.

     After I had installed the V/UHF vertical and 40M rotatable dipole on
the mast, raised it into position and installed the rotator, I installed the
muffler clamps so that they sit against the bearing collar.  Then I
installed the Bencher Skyhawk tribander.  In this way the mast weight and
that of the higher antennas is supported by the rotator, and the HF Yagi
gets additional support from the mast clamp setting against the top bearing
collar.  (Thanks to K7NV for this hint.)  And if I ever got enough nerve to
climb my mast for antenna work, I'd install a second auxiliary clamp on the
mast against the middle rotator/bearing plate for additional support.

BOTTOM LINE:  If you want your top bearing to provide vertical support for
the weight of your mast/antennas, use an auxiliary clamp of some kind, not
just the set screw for centering the mast inside the bearing's collar.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F