[TowerTalk] Tower base holes

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower base holes
From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:22:10 -0500
I assisted the back hoe operator by digging the first 10" or so by hand, precisely to the dedired dimension or slightly under, in sod. The back hoe did not disturb that.

The bottom wasn't perfect. I filled it with sufficient limestone screenings and tamped the screenings to produce a solid and level base, on which I placed concrete 'pills' to support the rebar cage and the tower base legs, each 3" from the bottom of the concrete base, to eliminate paths for leaching out the natural alkalinity of the concrete, which protects steel from corrosion. These screenings tamp much easier than many soils.

73 de WOØW