Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection questions.

To: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch),chief@thechief.com ("Dudley Chapman"), towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection questions.
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 13:43:58 -0400
In a message dated 7/22/2004 6:26:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Tom Rauch"
<w8ji@contesting.com> writes:

>Makes sense to me. That's almost exactly what I do, except I
>have a barrier ground that is 3" flashing where cables cross
>from the fields into the yard area. My barrier ground has
>multiple pipes, I punched holes in the flashing and pounded
>3/4" copper pipes into the ground through each hole about
>every six feet. I silver soldered the pipes to the copper
>flashing. It's all still intact today, after 4-5 years.

Hi, Tom --

A question - why do you use silver solder? Isn't that susceptible to melting
when it takes a hit? It's also contrary to the National Electrical Code using
mechanical or exothermic bonding only. Just curious - your system obviously
works.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH