[TowerTalk] diagonal poles with guy wire to support a tent

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] diagonal poles with guy wire to support a tent
From: "Kathleen Van Effen" <vankat774@skmc.gov.ae>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:40:54 +0400
 Please give me your opinion on whether the following plan is feasible:
I have a 27 foot long outfitters tent that is 14 feet wide and has a
peak of 10 feet. The slope of the roof is 10/14. The height of the gable
is 5 feet. I want to support it by an external system that consists of
three diagonally oriented beams/poles at about the same angle as the
pitch of the roof. A 27 foot pole running thru the peak of the tent
would be attached( at three points) to the ends of the  diagonal beams(
by cable). The beams would be anchored in the ground and would be about
21 ft long (above ground) The end of the beam would be positioned about
2 feet above the peak of the tent to facilitate attachment to the pole
running thru the peak. The beams would each weigh about 500 lbs. The
tent weighs 300 lbs. In effect, picture three cranes lined up parallel
to each other, supporting a weight of 300 lbs with support guys running
back ___  feet from the poles, attached to the end of each pole and
anchored ___ feet away from the end of the pole.

 If the idea is sound, how far away should a support guy wire be from
the base of the diagonal pole and what strength does the wire need to
be?

 Please don't ask me why I want to build this in this manner when
clearly there are other ways to accomplish the same thing.

Regards,

M.Van Dyke