[TowerTalk] HFTA & Antenna Direction Question

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HFTA & Antenna Direction Question
From: "Rita Stockton" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:06:01 -0500
I am getting ready to put up another 5L 20M yagi (not rotational at this time)
for the purpose of improving the situation to Europe.  I have a big drop off
that goes from about West to about 20 degrees going clockwise. At about 45
degrees (toward Europe), I might as well be on flat ground.  At some of the
lower angles, according to HFTA,  the stack pointed at about 10 or 20 degrees
shows as much as 8-10 dB improvement as compared to the same stack pointed at
45 degrees.  The question is this.  Would it make sense to skew the lower
antenna about 20-30 degrees North of Europe to best take advantage of that drop
off when these are in phase since according to YO the free space pattern would
indicate a drop of about 4 dB if the antenna were turned off by 30 degrees?

Stan, K5GO

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.