[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TowerTalk] Grid dip meter and Yagi elements

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grid dip meter and Yagi elements
From: "Mark Beckwith" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 05:23:49 -0500
List-post: <>
> Why does it need a gap in it?. It is an
> inductor and it has a resonant
> frequency.  Use the coil with the frequency
> range of the antenna and tune to
> find the dip.

I can't believe I'm going to show such ignorance, but here goes:  We had
"grid dip meters" when I was a kid.  I think they were called this because
they had a vacuum tube in them.  I think vacuum tubes had something called a
"grid" inside them.

I am assuming you guys talking about "grid dip meters" are not really
talking about these old devices.  What is the modern equivalent?  I have an
MFJ 259B, for instance.  It is easy to get the resonant frequency of a yagi
element split and insulated in the middle.  Can I use it to inductively
couple to a continuous yagi element or otherwise determine that element's
resonant frequency in any way?

Forgive my untechnical perspective, but the only reason I care about towers
and antennas is to make as many QSOs in radio contests as possible.  This
has incidentally helped me conquer my fear of heights.

Mark, N5OT


See:  for "Self Supporting Towers", "Wireless Weather 
Stations", and lot's more.  Call Toll Free, 1-800-333-9041 with any questions 
and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.

TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>