[TowerTalk] Coaxial Cable Brand

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coaxial Cable Brand
From: "Byron Tatum" <bjtatum@ev1.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:04:34 -0500
Hello-
    I have a question regarding a coaxial cable brand.Several years back I
picked up a couple of reels of mil-surplus RG-17A/U, I believe it came off of a
San Antonio area base.The brand is Consolidated. I was curious as to other's
opinions as to  the quality of Consolidated cable??
    I have examined the cable closely and the shield braid strikes me as being
either less dense or of smaller guage than other RG-17 type cables I have
used.I don't have any other types here now to directly compare them.However,
the shield does appear to be pretty tight and having no gaps or openings that I
can tell. For some reason it just strikes me as being "light".
    I have been picking up connectors here and there and have enough to use the
cable. My plans were to use it for several runs of around 175 feet each, on
freq. up to 50 Mhz. The installation will involve placing approx. 75 feet of
run underground in conduit, I do not want to use lesser-quality cable and later
have to redo it all.
    I appreciate any advice, thanks, Byron WA5THJ.