[TowerTalk] Re: Grid dip meter and Yagi elements

To: TowerTalk Post <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Grid dip meter and Yagi elements
From: Jim Idelson <>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:43:48 -0400
Hi Mark,

The difference between an antenna analyzer and a grid dip meter is primarily
the input impedance. The low input impedance of the antenna analyzer makes it
difficult to use in a loosely coupled manner. The high input impedance of the
dipper allows easier coupling with a tuned a tuned circuit. Something like
that, anyway...

MFJ sells an adapter for the 259B that allows it to be used as sort of a grid
dipper, but I believe it has very limited capability.

You can often buy a grid dipper at a hamfest flea for very little money. They
come with sets of coils for coupling to the DUT [device under test] over
certain frequency ranges.

Someone smarter than me will provide a more accurate answer on the theory of

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.