Re: [TowerTalk] Motorizing a TX-472

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Motorizing a TX-472
From: "Al Williams" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 15:47:52 -0700
Be careful not to compare apples to oranges here.

My 15 yr old tilt raising fixture for the UST 89' tower uses three
for mechanical advantage.  My 3 yr old LM-470 tilt raising fixture uses
only one pulley for mechanical advantage.

Furthermore, the winch for the UST  was the k2550 (~40:1 gearing)
versus the LM-470's k1550 (15:1 gearing).

Winching the UST tower is easy but winching the LM-470 was very
difficult until I replaced the k1550 with a k2550.

Later I modified the LM-470 tilt raising fixture and cabling to use
three pulleys also and it cranks easily.  I probably expend as much
energy moving my arm and hand as I do raising the tower?

I have not used the pivot-at-the-top-of-the-tower method of tilting
the tower (which has no pulley mechanical advantage, relying only
on the winch and tower balance) because of workmanship issues.

I would be interested in how well that works and why would anyone
want to motorize it?