Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna for 40 & 80

To: <N8DCJ@YAHOO.COM>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna for 40 & 80
From: "Paul Playford" <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 18:03:13 -0000
FWIW, I use an 18HT on 160 with elevated radials.  The first version
followed Hygain's method of base loading with a big coil at the feed point.
Turns out that there is a high voltage point between the top of the tower
and the stinger - I blew a big hole in the insulator while running full
power.  Now the Hytower is top loaded and works great.

With the elevated radials the feed point z is about 20 ohms so I feed it
with an unun.  I get about 60 Khz bandwidth at the 2:1 swr points.

de Paul, W8AEF