Re: [TowerTalk] Best VHF-UHF Vertical for Lightning?

To: <kd4e@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best VHF-UHF Vertical for Lightning?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:13:12 -0400
> When replacing it I'd like to install something that
> by design directs the energy to ground instead of into
> the building.

Then you will have to ground the feedline at the entrace to
a good ground, and ground the antenna if you can. That is
where the problem is, not between the center and the shield
of the cable.

> I'd really love to put up something that can handle
> receive and transmit on 2 & 440 and at least be useful
> for HF reception if not transmit.

I can't think of anything. There are antennas with dipole
elements supported by metal poles that are very immune to
lightning, but most of the other "dc grounded" systems
aren't worth a penny for protection.

73 Tom