RE: [TowerTalk] grade 5 bolts

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] grade 5 bolts
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:47:27 -0500
Stainless is best for things like shackles, nuts, washers and lockwashers.
Hot dipped galvanized hardware lasts a very long time.  Electroplated
hardware (zinc) must be painted to avoid rust.  Avoid stainless steel
bolt/nut combinations that will need to be torqued tight.  There is a
tendency for the threads to gall, and once galled, the nuts are virtually
impossible to remove.  A good example to avoid is all-stainless u-bolts.

Keith NM5G