Re: [TowerTalk] wires in quad driven element

To: "J.Hector Garcia M" <Hector@telecom1.net>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] wires in quad driven element
From: Tom Horton <k5iid@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:41:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hector,
 I have been building and using quads for 40 years, and I have always
drilled the arms at the attachment points. I have never had an arm fail
at the drill point, and they have been through some pretty hefty storms
and winds. One particuliar wind storm was 60 MPH  plus sustained for
several days. Yes, the arms broke during that storm, but they broke at
the point where they were attached to the spiders.
 I'm sure that some folks have had the arms break at the drill holes, but
in my case, that never happened.
 Another big plus is that it is much simplier and much less expensive!
Good luck!
73, Tom K5IID

"J.Hector Garcia M" <Hector@telecom1.net> wrote:
TT's:

I start building one of the 2 quads that will remplace my monobands 10-15-20m,
i still thinking how to support in the spreaders the wires in the driven
element , this one is the most inportant for me, i want to support the wires
with out make holes in the spreader, increase electrical length with metal
clamps or wires to attach in a strong way the wires , and can resist power
around legal limit (most important) or more when the swr increase in the band
limits or during a contest running power

i will apreciate an advice, followin this 4 parameters :
no holes in spreader , not metallic , hi power resistan and small weight. just
for the driver or if this is practical i will add to all the other elements.
i was thinking in delrin insulators like the ones used in 2m yagis, but i have
no idea how much power can handle , glued with resin to the driver .

tnx in advance

We can never, never forget !

Tom Horton K5IID
Hillsboro, TX
USA-CA All Counties 661---DXCC---5 BAND DXCC
WPX HONOR ROLL---5 BAND WAC---WAZ

Finally back home in Texas after all these years!

"E" sorter for the ARRL W5 QSL bureau