[TowerTalk] Radio Shack Type tower

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radio Shack Type tower
From: "Jim Johnston" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:22:17 -0230
Hi everyone...

I was looking for information on the radioshack type tower
  have at my QTH, i.e. wind load, etc.  The closest thing that I can find on
the net is at the following url: .
 I am sure that some hams must use this type of tower...I am currently using
mine in the following config:  First 10' section ~2-3' in the ground and set in
concrete with an additional 2-10' sections, for a total current height of ~28'.
 The tower is also braced on the house at ~ the 16' level.  I am looking to
place a yaesu rotor, G800-SA, inside the tower on a home made rotor shelf, in
order to turn a small HF beam like an A3S or TH3-MK4, which I would also like
to mount on same.

What does anyone think?  I used a similar setup in Calgary with the same tower,
only using 4-10' sections braced at ~20' and a radioshack rotor turing a
5element 6m cushcraft beam with no problems.  I am just a little more concerned
with the greater winds here in Newfoundland.  I woul dlike to add the 4th
section to bring my current tower height up to ~38' and if I had too, guy it
between the 3rd and 4th sections for more stabillity.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.