Re: [TowerTalk] Exothermic/Cadwelds one shots etc...

To: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>, <N8DCJ@YAHOO.COM>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Exothermic/Cadwelds one shots etc...
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:04:06 -0400
Here's a few shots of using one shots and the installation of my ground system.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/ground.htm

73

Roger (K8RI)
Dan:

Talk to Joel at RF Connections in Gaithersburg, MD ( www.therfc.com )
. When I bought my one-shots in 2001 they were about $7-$8 each. Don't
forget to buy the flint starter (it's only $6 and a lot safer than matches).
A propane torch starter won't work; it doesn't throw the spark. You might
also want to get a supply of electrician's putty (Home Despot sells it, made
by GB among others). You'll need to put a wad of this clay around each of
the openings in the one-shot mold to ensure the material doesn't leak out.
(At least I did.)

Using these things is pretty easy if you follow the box's instructions.
Lightly sand and wipe the top couple of inches of each ground rod before you
put the mold over it, insert the ground wire ends, put the putty around the
mold openings (including underneath where the rod passes through), and
carefully place the contents of the plastic containers (the magic powders)
into the mold. Put on the top, flick the flint igniter and stand back. The
one-shots are not noisy, just smokey so stay upwind.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Bookwalter" <n8dcj@yahoo.com>