[TowerTalk] Quad vs SteppIR

To: Bill Ogden <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Quad vs SteppIR
From: ABowenN4OO <>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:57:50 -0400
I took down my Lightning Bolt quad, which had been on a 70 ft tower for 9 years. I replaced it with the 3 el SteppIR.

The first thing I noticed on 20M, was that I had to point the antenna in the direction I wanted to talk instead of just aiming it north and covering a 90+ degree swath. As soon as I tried 17 and 15M, I knew something was working better. Perhaps some of the apparent difference was due to the feed system of the quad. I don't know and at this point, don't care. I call: they come back.

The other bands, 12 and 10 M, have not been open when I am active, so no experience there.

I felt that I was reasonably competitive with the quad, or I would have changed antennas sooner. I feel that I have made a significant improvement, both transmitting and receiving, with the SteppIR.

I never did have a wire failure with this quad. I had yearly problems with other designs.

Sopchoppy, FL