Re: [TowerTalk] Alpha-spid

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Alpha-spid
From: VE6JY Don Moman <ve6jy@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:23:57 -0600
Well, from the US Tower website it says:

.......The HDX-555 has a maximum maximum height of 55' without mast and a
minimum nested height of 21' 6." This tower consists of 3 sections, the top
one being 15" and the bottom section is 21 5/8." The inside diameter for
your rotor is 8 1/4" in the top section. This tower weighs 870 lbs. It comes
standard with a hand winch, hinged base, anchor bolts (1 1/8" x 27" long)
and a rotor plate (approx. down 4' inside the tower)........

If the top section has a face of 15 inches then it should fit - it does fit
(just) into Rohn 25 which has a 12" face. These towers are very scarce  up
here in VE6 so we have no first hand experience with them.  I know Mark
W0NCL has his in a TrEX LM470D but it was snug.  I think the 555 is one of
the bigger crankups out there so it should fit but it wold be nice to hear
from someone who has done it.

Depending what you want to put on top, another alternative to is to mount
the rotor outside the tower. The rotor itself is very well suited to taking
this kind of side load. It will mount directly to a stub pipe up to just
over 2.5" diameter so no lower mast adapter is needed.  For testing this
fact, I have had a  6 element 20m monobander 48 foot boom on an AlfaSpid
mounted outside the tower for just about 1 year.  The wind actually
destroyed the yagi last fall but the rotor was fine. The yagi has been
rebuilt (my trussing slipped and precipitated the failure) and both have
survived the winter and summer and the test is ongoing.  Looking at it
during wind gusts, I don't feel this load is stressing it very much, but it
is hard to put a number on just what is too much, until something fails.
Some pictures of other users, and some mounted outside the tower can be
found at  http://alfaradio.ca/inuse.html  (the other pix link seems not to
work at the moment)

73 Don
VE6JY