Re: [TowerTalk] Vincent loaded antennas

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vincent loaded antennas
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:52:27 -0500
Hi Jim,

So I just went through Rob's slide show. Seems to me he filled it with
enough technical information to impress the pants off a patent inspector or
radio newbie, but I'm not sure he has reinvented the wheel on this one.

I just bought an Anttron HM40W 40-meter whip (like the Lakeview Hamsticks).
Let me describe it's construction: from the mount up the fibreglas shaft is
a helix, running to about six or seven inches below the attachment point for
the stainless steel whip. Between the helix and the whip is a loading coil
to complete the loading for 7 MHz.

Sounds an awful lot like a DLM to me, and Hamstick-like antennas have been
on the market for years. (And work really, really well.)

It seems to me that his slide show reads a lot like Sevick from the 70s in
QST: W2FMI demonstrated that you can get excellent efficiency from shortened
antennas -- as long as you place them over lots and lots of radials. Sevick
also demonstrated the advantages of top loading, and experimented with
various forms of inductive loading, including helix, lumped inductance at
various points on the antenna and linear loading. I remember he had
excellent results from a 40 meter vertical that was less than six feet tall.
It had a huge top hat and enough copper underneath to upset world commodity
markets.

If anyone saw anything in that slideshow that's new, please let me know. It
certainly hasn't led me to believe the no-free-lunch rule about antenna size
has been repealed just yet.

73, kelly
ve4xt