Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding control cable/Rotator control box

To: "Noel" <yaesurig@msn.com>, "'Carl Smidt'" <xveoneov@sprint.ca>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding control cable/Rotator control box
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:48:53 -0700
Noel,

I respectfully disagree. If someone asks about how to rotate
a particular antenna, don't you think it would be appropriate,
and, in fact, expected that people might share their experience
with various commercial antenna rotators? Sure you can
build your own grounding blocks, but you still have to buy the
MOV's. How on earth do you expect for people to carry on
intelligent and meaningful conversations about tower and
antenna construction without mentioning various commercial
suppliers from time-to-time? I could understand your discomfort
if advice was riddled with shameless plugs by an agent of
a vendor with a clear conflict of interest, but I haven't see any
of that here. No matter how frugal or resourceful we think of
ourselves, we are all constantly performing "make/buy"
decisions where we oftentimes chose to buy value added
items in order to save ourselves a little time in our projects
(how many people make their own transistors or tubes?).

When you pay $50 for those grounding blocks, keep in
mind that you are paying for more than the material and
labor needed to manufacture them. You are also paying for
the companies experience base which in the case of ICE
and Polyphaser probably extends over tens of thousands of
commercial and amateur antenna/tower installations. This
experience includes all the hard lessons learned through
evaluating failures and customer returns (lots of fried radios).
That is not to say that every commercial manufacturer of
amateur equipment does good engineering. There is a lot
of junk out there too, but that's why we have forums like
Towertalk so that we can share our experiences and
hopefully avoid other people's mistakes.

Shameless plugs - NO. Honest advice about commercially
available solutions - YES.

Good luck with your project.